If you wish to let a property you own to a tenant Morison and Smith Solicitors can ensure a short assured tenancy is put in place to protect your interest. We are able to provide information on landlord registration. It is an offence for a person to let out a house subject to a lease or an occupancy agreement, whilst unregistered with the relevant local authority. From the 1st May 2013 Landlords must also provide tenants with standard documentation and a tenants information pack. Failure to provide a tenant information pack will be a criminal offence and landlords who do not provide the pack could be liable of a fine up to £500.

Landords will have to provide tenants with "standard tenancy documents". These are:

  • A copy of the Tenancy Agreement
  • A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate

(In terms of Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1988, a copy of the last inspection record/certificate in respect of any appliance of flue so is to be provided to each tenant)

  • Form AT5

(where the landlord is letting the property on a Short Assured Tenancy)

  • Tenant Information Pack

The "Tenant Information Pack" consists of two documents:

  • Acknowledgement Form
  • Scottish Government Guidance Notes